Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Georges Dragon Hat! Now with Pattern!

Thats him wearing it. Haha. I whipped it up in an evening, after visiting home and noticing that he is OBSESSED with Dragons right now. You should have heard the disgust in his voice after I offered to make him a Thomas the Train Engine hat. Apparently that's soooo 2 years ago.

By the way this is my little brother George. He is 5 (turning 6 in December). I am 20 and turning 21 in February. Fifteen years is a pretty big difference but he's one of my best friends.

I am also making him a Dragon Scarf, which as soon as I am done I will post photos up of.

I crocheted it using a K/ 6.5 MM hook and Lions Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn. Then I just crocheted some triangles in the same yarn just in yellow and slip stitched them to the hat. It sort of looks like a mowhawk.


I've had some demand for the pattern so here it is, (this is from memory since I'm back at school now and my lil bro is in Boston):

I used the Lemon-Grass and Cilantro colors for the hat and the Citron for the spikes. If you don't want to alternate colors then just don't switch colors every round, if you do then do! It doesn't really make a difference in terms of the pattern. This hat is worked continuously in rounds.

Hat:

Chain 2

Rnd 1: Work 6 single crochet (sc) in 2nd chain from hook [6 sts]

Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each st [12 sts]

Rnd 3: Work 1 sc in next st then 2 sc in st after that, repeat [18 sts]

Rnd 4: Sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [24 sts]

Rnd 5: Sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [30]

Rnd 6: Sc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [36]

Rnd 7: Sc in each st around [36]

Rnd 8: Sc in each of the next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [42]

Rnd 9: Sc in each st around [42]

Rnd 10: Sc in each of the next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [48]

Continuing rounds: You can keep increasing stitches until the hat is the circumference you want, and keep repeating rounds till its the length you want. I don't quite remember what my brother's hat was, I think I made it a bit bigger because I'm planning on lining it with fleece.

Fasten Off.

For the EarFlaps:

The Earflaps are done working back and forth in rows.

Rnd 1: Sc in next 9 stitches (increase stitches according to size of ears or the size you want the earflaps to be)

Rnd 2: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 8 stitches

Rnd 3: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 7 stitches

Rnd 4: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 6 stitches

Rnd 5: Ch 1, turn, Skip first st and sc in next 5 stitches

Rnd 6: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 4 stitches

Rnd 7: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 3 stitches

Rnd 8: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st and sc in next 2 stitches

Rnd 9: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, ad sc in last stitch. Fasten off.

Then skip as many stitches across the back of the hat as you need (depends on hat size). Then work the second ear flap same as the first.

I also like to choose a dark color and sc all around the hat and earflaps. I think it gives it a more finished effect.

For the Scales (scales or horns? I'm not sure):

I crocheted 5 triangles independently and then attached them with two slip stitch lines on either side, so that they would stand up. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this was fast and efficient.

My triangles had a base chain of 6, but it really depends on what size you want your scales/horns to be. Here is the patterns for my triangles:

Ch 6

Rnd 1: Sc in next 5 stitches

Rnd 2: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in next 4 stitches

Rnd 3: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in next 3 stitches

Continue repeating until only one stitch remains then fasten off.

Make 5 (or how many ever you want)

Then starting at the back of the hat, on one side of a scale/horn , slip stitch the scale/horn to the hat, then position another scale to line up with the previous scale, etc etc and keep slip stitching them to the hat until you are at the end, then slip stitch around the front of the last scale and slip stitch the other side of the scales to the hat. Then connect to the beginning slip stitch and Fasten off.

Weave in Ends.

This pattern is pretty accurate, message me if there are any problems. And keep and eye out for my dragon scarf!



9 comments:

Faye said...

that is wicked cute! I followed your link from craftster.

Faye said...

this is going to sound lame.. when you say worked in continuous rounds, does that mean that you do not slip stitch? How exactly does that work? Thanks!

Mom IsAmagpie said...

That is awesome!!! Thanks for postin how you did it. I have a feeling a lot of people will be getting dragon hats for the holidays now.

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Bethany [the girl from Joann Fabrics n_n] - I found your blog on craftster! Anyway, that hat is even more epic than I imagined - great work.

Alsoalso, thank you so much for telling me where you got your pop art hoodie - I made it over from J.Fabrics to Old Navy in a whopping 6 minutes [by foot!]. Anyway, I can't wait to see more work from you!

Faye said...

I finally got around to making this hat. You did a way better job than I did, but still, here is a link to mine
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/hheever/autumndragon2.jpg

Thanx for sharing the pattern!

Laura said...

Thanks so much for posting the pattern on this hat! This was my first crochet project in decades, but your instructions were easy to follow. I adjusted mine to smaller gauge needles & yarn to make a finer weave is the only difference. I made a few mistakes, but it still came out just great. You can see a photo of mine at the bottom of this page on my blog http://cottonflowers.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/its-the-day-after-christmas-got-joy/ , where I give credit to your wonderful design. Thanks Masha!

Kimi said...

I love this simple hat pattern I come back for it project after project. I've made a baby dragon hat and a young adult hat and both kids and parents love it. Thanks so much.

Kimi said...

I love this simple hat pattern I come back for it project after project. I've made a baby dragon hat and a young adult hat and both kids and parents love it. Thanks so much.

Marilee said...

Adorable and fun to make! Thank you <3
Marilee