Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Carlos's Hat



This is a hat I made for my friend Carlos following a modified version of Aarons Hat Trick #3. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn and size K hook. I also worked mainly in back loops to create the ridged effect which I think makes the stripes look more defined. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, it was my first striped ear flap hat! I'm just afraid that it will be a little tight on him, but I figure it will stretch out. Also it's machine washable so that's great!

Also since this hat was for a boy, I made it a bit longer and wider around. Usually my rule of thumb is to stop increasing stitches when you find your perfect width (trying it on helps) and then sc in every stitch around and around till you reach your perfect length. You could also try increasing sts one round and then doing one round even after that.


There is something wrong with my kidneys so I've been told to rest up and drink lots of fluids. You know what that means. Naps, CSI and crocheting. Hopefully I will finish my friend Roses Gloves this week and will have photos and a pattern up later.

Here is the pattern for Carlos's Hat:

Hat


Chain 2

Rnd 1: Work 6 single crochet (sc) in 2nd chain from hook [6 sts]

Work in back loops from here on

Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each st [12 sts]


Rnd 3: Work 1 sc in next st then 2 sc in st after that, repeat [18 sts]

Rnd 4: Sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [24 sts]

Rnd 5: Sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [30]

Rnd 6: Sc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [36]

Rnd 7: Sc in each st around [36]

Rnd 8: Sc in each of the next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [42]

Rnd 9: Sc in each st around [42]

Rnd 10: Sc in each of the next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat [48]

Rnd 11-19: Sc in each st around [48]

Fasten Off.

First Ear Flap:


The ear flaps are done working back and forth in rows. I switched off doing back and front loops on each row so that front of the ear flaps would be ridged.

Rnd 1: Sc in back loop of next 12 sts.

Rnd 2: Chain (ch) 1, turn. Skip first stitch, sc in front loops of each st [11 sts]

Rnd 3: Ch 1, turn. Skip first stitch, sc in back loops of each st [10]


Rnd 4: Ch 1 , turn. Skip first stitch, sc in front loops of each st [9]

Rnd 5: Ch 1, turn. Skip first stitch, sc in back loops of each st [8]

Rnd 4: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in front loops of each st [7]

Rnd 5: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in back loops of each st [6]

Rnd 6: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in front loops of each st [5]

Rnd 7: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in back loops of each st [4]

Rnd 8: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in front loops of each st [3]

Rnd 9: Ch 1, turn. Skip first st, sc in back loops of each st [2]

Keep repeating till only one stitch remains, then fasten off.


Second Ear Flap:

Skip 8 sts across the back of Hat. In next st, join yarn with slip st then follow the same pattern as for the first ear flap.


Front Flap:

Sc across the front of hat to the second ear flap, Ch 1, turn. Repeat the last row 9 times, alternating between stitching in front loops/ back loops. Fasten off.


Edging:


Join yarn in the front edge of an ear flap and then just sc around .

For the Ear Flap ties I just braided all the colors I used. But you
can use any technique. You can braid, I've also done Monks Cords and so on.

That's my kitten playing with the braided tie of the hat. I will post more photos of his adorable face later

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it =)

-C